Closenuf.exe download page.
Here is a free Windows program that keeps Close Enough
time. Just copy
(ver. HH1.1) down to your disk and use it on your desktop or laptop to tell time
throughout the day. Create a variety of different
styles with selections from the "Models", "Shapes", and "Colors" menus. After many years I'm still using this program on XP with no problems.
- To download: Click on "Closenuf.exe" above. When the
appears, specify any directory on your local hard file you like.
I keep programs I install in directories
separate from \Windows or other directories created and used by the
operating system. (Closenuf.exe makes NO use of the Windows' Registry.)
- To start the program, do either of the following:
- Get a command line; cd to the directory from step 1; and
- Find "closenuf.exe" in the Windows Explorer (not IE) and double-click
If your browser is MS Internet Explorer ("IE"), it may
an icon on your desktop in step 1. from which you can start the clock.
- To customize the style: When you first start the program, it
uses the Arial font, which is usually present on Windows' computers.
You can select another font under "Shapes, Choose Font...".
To add colors, try the "Colors" menu. After adding colors,
try "Shapes, Center single digit numbers" to see the
difference in appearance during the hours 1-9. (Use "Help,
Demo..." to see the effect quickly.) To undo most style changes
back to when you first started, choose "File, original Default
style". If you click "File, Anchor to foreground", the
clock will stay on top of other active windows.
Once styles are set, hit the Esc key to remove the title and menu
bars. You can still move and size the window. The Close Enough clock
works very well even when as small as a postage stamp in one corner of
your screen. Whenever you Exit Closenuf, it saves the current
settings in a file called closenuf.sty for use the next time you start
- To set the Close Enough clock to come up just as you left it
each time you start your computer, do the following one time only:
- Click "Start, Settings, Taskbar...".
- Click "Start Menu Programs, Add..." and follow the
dialog to create a shortcut to "closenuf.exe" in your
"Startup" (not "Start Menu") folder.
New features in Ver. HH1.1
- Models, Date -- the date line is sizable.
This change suggested by RH.
- Shapes, Center single digit numbers -- causes the number from
hour 1 to hour 9 to be centered in the figure instead of off-set in
the units position. I think this detracts from the 2-color style but
looks great in a 3-color style. This change suggested by DB and
- Help, Looking ahead -- rewritten. This changed suggested by my
experience at Epcot show.